Sunday, September 27, 2009

My son almost got hit by a car tonight.

The word "almost" in the sentence should overshadow the part that says hit by a car. But it doesn't.

It was less than 2 seconds for him to run into the street. It was an eternity for me to get close enough to him.
He was holding my hand. He pulled down hard and fast, yelling tag you're it. I started screaming and running as my 2 year old darted between cars, into the middle of the street. He couldn't see the SUV, but then he turned around and the lights were in his eyes and he froze, the joy of the game still on his face. It was so dark and the lights were so bright and he was looking at me, confused but still smiling. The SUV wasn't stopping. It wasn't stopping. I reached him, I grabbed him, I pushed him as I threw myself towards the SUV hoping I could absorb any impact. I looked right into the drivers eyes. Unconsciously begging him to hit me. The SUV passed. Less than a foot. So very close. One more step and this would be a very different story for me. One less and it would have been a very different story for him. Shaking, unable to breathe with tears running down my face, I held onto that boy on the side of the road. I cried the whole way home. It keep replaying in my mind. I was paying attention, I wasn't distracted. I was holding his hand. It was so fast. And mommy felt so slow. Mommy felt so slow. And the SUV never stopped.
My baby is okay. His mommy is not.

3 comments:

  1. It’s hard to imagine being in a situation like this! What you have done is an initial reaction that every parent will do to protect their child, and I’ll definitely do the same with my kids if it happens to me. It’s a horrible experience, but I hope you’ve totally moved on from this incident now and I hope it won’t ever happen again.

    Cindie Guevara

    ReplyDelete
  2. The driver JUST passed like nothing happened? That was majorly rude, huh? Anyway, you’re a very brave mom, and I always salute people like you who will risk their life for their child. Well, I guess every parent will do that to their kids. I just hope that you’ve recovered by now and your kid will stop running to cars. :)

    Thao Canto

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine the trauma you’ve faced during this accident. It’s also disappointing to know that the driver doesn’t even care to go down the car and check on you. Years have passed already, and I hope you haven’t faced any accident through the years. How are you now? :)

    RobertNOAlaw

    ReplyDelete